Sunday, September 22, 2013

Marriage Today



                In today’s society, people have different expressions when it comes to marriage.  It is confidently different from the 1970’s that is because the world changes and so does the people in it.  I guess I would say that marriage is still alive but not strong in America as it used to be.  The people today are so caught up with their social life’s, and it appears like people who are in their thirty’s do not want to settle down.  It is as they say “thirty is the new twenty” and people want to take advantage of living their life to the fullest before any commitment.  When the time comes, would it already be too late?  Would they already be caught up in their ways and wouldn’t it be harder to change from a party man to a family man?  I believe marriage is a beautiful decision to make in anyone’s life.  Because there is always one person who is going to love you for who you are and love you at your worst.  Marriage is a true commitment but it does not mean life is going to be over, it can be fun.  It just means looking at life from a new perspective, going through challenges together, and not being alone.  Myself, for instance, I have fell in love with another since I was seventeen, married him when I was nineteen, twenty four now and it is the best decision I have made.  Of course they are life’s obstacles, but working out problems together is a meaning of marriage.  It does not mean give up on each other and end up in a divorce.
            For Rivera’s essay on “temporary marriages” I would have to say that I also agree with her that it is a bad idea.  It is taking away the true concept of marriage.  If you do not see you and your partner together for life, then why get married at all?  Marriage has so much meanings and emotional feelings.  I think that people would not take marriage seriously, and it will become some kind of game stability.  It is like giving a couple false hope for their future, like saying “you guys do not belong together, but you should get married for two years anyway and see how that ends up”.  What is the purpose for all of that, isn’t it just a waste of time and money?  For some people who have children and already live together look at marriage as it is unnecessary, but it is more than that.  There are benefits like life/health insurance, making life or death decisions for your partner.  It is crazy but I would compare marriage with credit, do we really need credit?  It is like part of an image that we show for ourselves, something to be proud of.  This is just my opinion. 


6 comments:

  1. I agree with you when you say that society has changed. Marriage back then used to be a lot stronger than now and i totaly agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that most people are caught up in their social lives. I myself have that feeling of wanting to live to the fullest before anything and I think it is such a beautiful thing that your happily married(:

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I fell the same way as celeste, but I want to know more of your personal opinions on marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Celeste, no one wants to act there age anymore. People need to slow down and appreciate the little things, because everyday is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that people shouldn't divorce because of a simple problem. That is where the whole thing about commitment comes in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Celeste, i totally agree with you. Now-a-days, people don't take the time to appreciate what they have. They need to realize that each day that we have, is a day we need to live to the fullest because we are not guaranteed. I am happy that your marriage is going great.

    ReplyDelete