Some
people that look and pronounce my name can assume that I am Vietnamese but, the
story behind it is much more difficult to explain. I was born and raised
Cambodian, I can speak and understand the language. I never really
understood why there was Vietnamese in my family until I grew up. During
the Vietnam War, some of Cambodia's land was taken by the Vietnamese. My
father's side of the family adapted to their new home learning the language and
their new home traditions. My name is Thi Lee Thach. Funny as it is I go
by both my first and middle name, some people call me Thi and some call me Lee. My last name was not always Thach, in fact it
is my name after marriage.
When
I was born there was a mistake on my social security card and birth
certificate. It read as Lee Thi Danh and Thi Lee Danh, Lee was supposed
to be my first name, but due to the mix up Thi was now my first name. It was on my every school record, and other
important documents. On my dad's side of
the family all the female’s middle name were Thi. I do not understand the meaning, but I suppose
it was a tradition they kept in the family. Although my family never called me Thi, I knew
that I was only going to be called Lee by my family and closest friends. My name does give me a clue to my heritage
since there is so much meaning to my first, middle, and last name. If I had the
chance to change my name, I would have to say that I would not even consider
it. Growing up I got picked on because
my name was harder for the other students to pronounce, it was different, and
they could not accept it. I am glad my
name is what the way it is, I enjoy being different and I do accept myself for
who I am.
My
last name was not always Thach, it was Danh, my birth name. When I got
married, I was not going to change my name but the military suggested that I
had too. So all my Id's had three different names on it. When I
needed to open a new bank account about two years later, they would not let me
unless I fixed my name, for identity security reasons. It did not make sense to me to change it
because I liked that it was all mixed up, it was interesting for me. When I finally changed my last name, and
changed Thi to my first name, I felt like I lifted off a lot off my shoulders. I felt like I do not have to explain to
people why my name was the way it was.
Life was just simple and all my Id’s had the same name on it. As I have said Thi Lee Thach is now who I am
and will be for the rest of my life.
I understand you difficulties with your name. My dad's documents were also mixed up. i am glad you got the chance o fix it.
ReplyDeleteSo due to the mix up, you probably had to identify all those variations as aliases even though you should have gone with one. I had the same issue when joining the military. My second middle name and my maiden last name was considered as one name so I had to go with a hybrid last name.
ReplyDeleteThat is so cool that you are called by both your first and middle name. I also love that background you have for your name and that you are so proud of it(:
ReplyDelete